[kde-linux] Time to switch to gnome?

Eike Lantzsch zp6cge at gmx.net
Wed Aug 10 09:20:43 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 02:37, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> I'll give it one last try.
>
> After three attempts to get help from this list or kde.org without results,
> I'm about ready to switch to gnome.
>
> I am UNABLE to print from ANY KDE application (kmail, kate, kword).  BUT, I
> am able to print from non-kde apps (abiword, firefox) without problems.
>
> I have two printers, an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and a Brother HL-1440.
> These are connected to a 2port network print server (Netgear PS110).
>
> Original configuration was using system-config-printer with both printers
> set up as lpr queues.  Both printers work properly in command line and
> under gnome but not under kde apps.
>
> I keep getting the message "The MIME type application/postscript is not
> supported as input of the filter chain. Do you want KDE to convert the file
> to a supported format?".  This never happened under kde 3.2 versions.
>
> No matter what I try, it will not print.  Why is kde sending it out as
> postscript to the filters?  I need to print many documents and email
> messages and am getting fed up with cut and paste into an abiword document
> in order to print.
>
> Tom

I have the same problem with KDE 3.3.2 and 3.4.1 from Debian Sid and Debian
Experimental (Alioth) using the CUPS. I didn't dig into the problem yet,
having enough other non-computer problems right now.
What I can say is that the print jobs do not even show up in the print queue -
neither looking with KDE kprintviewer nor with CUPS itself. But I am
definitely not going to switch to Gnome.

Cheers, Eike
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519