[kde-linux] Location of KMail Mail Boxes

Erik Ohls eohls at welho.com
Mon Aug 1 11:13:34 UTC 2005

måndagen den 01 augusti 2005 07:02 skrev Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.:
> Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid that isn't the location (I saved the
> previous ~/.kde/share before I ran the new version for the first time).
>
> On Sunday  July 31, 2005 11:43 pm, christophe wrote:
> > Le lundi 1 Août 2005 01:47, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. a écrit :
> > > I feel kind of sill asking, but where does KMail store mail for a user.
> > > According to
> > > http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/index.html?page=/documentation/
> > >nl d/ userguide_kde/data/cha.kmail.html it's stored in ~/home/Mail.
> > > However, that directory is empty in KDE 3.4.2 (SuSE 9.3).  Neither is
> > > it in /var/spool/mail, although there is a file named for the user.
> > >
> > > Finally, did upgrading KDE from 3.4.0 to 3.4.2 wipe our all of my mail
> > > from the former KDE installation?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I'd say : ~/.kde/share/apps/kab

I think most of the answers you have received have been more or less correct
but incomplete.

Your mail probably used to be in ~/.Mail while your updated version of KMail
wants to store everything in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.
Consequently restoring your old version of ./Mail won't help: you have to copy
its contents to the new location. YMMV depending on your distro.

As somebody pointed out your addressbook is probably to be found in
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc (not kab) and restoring that directory may be enough.

If it isn't, the reason is probably that Kontact creates new addressbooks at
the drop of a feather and sometimes without the user being aware of it. The
main one should be the file std.vcf but the adresses you want may be hidden
in files with names like std.vcf_1, std.vcf_2_1 and so on. (I can't say I
really understand the numbering system.) Anyway, it's possible that you have
to tell Kontact explicitly to use the right ones.

Good luck
Erik