[Kde-latam] Akademy-BR

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:58:22 CET 2010

Hello Helio,
thanks for the clarifying response.
My comments below.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Helio Chissini de Castro <helio at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:57:18 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> No no, there *still* the plans of Akademy, was never left out. Before that was
> the Akademy-br plans, from Sandro and Maurício, which i deliberately keep away
> to organize and we are using this as a test lab of how difficult is to organize
> a conference, big one at all.
> This is not only the first .br conference, this is our alpha for next big step,
> be a LA conference or th big prize :-)
> We never intended to let *any* of LA kde community away.
> For the akademy.br case, i know that we're even need to cut some brazilian
> people, since the expected request to attending was way higher.
> Even i decided to drop stay and same place and request any resource from kde
> to allow space for another person. I will cover my own expenses, including
> travel,

As I said, there was probably a lot we didn't know. We'll be looking
eagerly at the experience you gather with this first conference.

> Well, to be sincere, i saw that as natural, communities are starting to
> integrate in all sides of LA, mostly Chile, Peru and Argentina, and are
> discussing pontual things that i offered some help, but still nobody delivered
> the exact requests.
> Today i can see discussions of website, location of hosting, etc..
> If everyones agree to do a bold move, i personally can create spaces we have
> to br.kde.org, to ar.kde.org, cl.kde.org and pe.kde.org the same way, but i
> need to know *exactly* what the needs to see what i can do.
> Same thing is thinking if a big LA site is viable.

Probably each country will need or already has a site. I know kde-ar
has its own, which could redirected from ar.kde.org or viceversa. A
big LA could serve forums, which could only reach critical mass if we
gather all countries together.

> But sites are secondary, are a point of aggregation. What i would like to see
> is if you guys have the possibility to organize sprints, or small events and
> push this to be public allowing others to know whats happening. Others ==
> World.
> As happened in Brazil, if a reasonable contained event is planned, we can get
> resources from eV to that, including some local travels. It just need:
> * Be planned with long time
> * Have some commited persons to organize and be responsible ( this is really
> serious )
> * Have a strong subject to validate such event, not only  "KDE meeting"
>
>> Can we set a goal to organize a Latam event in the mid-term, and then,
>> with your orientation, get all what's needed to make it happen? The
>> experience you make with Akademy-BR will certainly help a lot.
>
> Yes, because one issue.
> I want Akademy in LA, long time. But next Akademy will be the one together
> with Gnome again, which will make things a little more difficult than usual.
> So, LA akademy, and for geographic reasons and suggestion, at Chille, would be
> a start to think ( i'm not rulling out any country, this is my suggestion only
> and everyone, even the Chile guys can disagree strongly :-).
> One important thing, but really upset for the majority, there will be the need
> of a kabal for this kind of conference. Can't be public discussion until
> previous country, places, costs, and everything are confirmed by a closed
> organizer group, including travelling to the place to analyze. Really serious
> thing.

An intermediate goal might be to host CampKDE, which is probably a lot
less political issue than Akademy, and there aren't many countries on
this hemisphere which can host it on its own. But only after a Latam
event, where we can stretch our muscle and see what we are up to.