[Kde-l10n-kn] Hi.

shankar prasad prasad.mvs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:19:59 CEST 2009

2009/7/2 Sudhir Malavalli <sudhirmalavalli at yahoo.co.in>

>  Dear Shankar,
>
> Thank you for the reply. I have downloaded the priority files as per your
> mail.
>
> I would appreciate a quick overview from you on the job to be done, just so
> that I do not waste too much time on unnecessary activities. Please note
> that I am doing this for the first time and I need to get started from
> scratch. Please forgive my basic questions and help get me started off.
>
> I assume I will have to use the 'Lokalize' tool to do the translations? Are
> we making semantic translations here? I have my laptop loaded with UBUNTU
> 9.04, will it be OK or do I work with windows using KDE utilities (I have
> done this, but want to know if I have to also install the kannada character
> set?) OR do I need to install KDE based Linux OS?

Sudhir,
To get any language included in their release as per the threshold level of
translation set by KDE upstream, the essential modules has to be equal to or
above:

desktop_kdelibs.po - >= 75 %
desktop_l10n.po - >= 75 %
kdebase         - >= 75 %
kdelibs4.po     - >= 90%

Regarding the translation, lokalize would be fine, currently I am using
kbabel (which is currently replaced by lokalize) and planning to move to
lokalize soon. I think yes we are doing semantic translations, by takes into
account the aesthetic value of the source language text. Open source
translation is OS independent.  Any OS will do. To start translating on yor
ubuntu you need to install kannada support (ie fonts-kannada,  m17n-kannada)
and SCIM for keying in.

Thats it...

Please let me know if you have any queries..

Shankar