[Kde-l10n-kn] A review of our recent efforts....

Umesh Rudrapatna umeshrs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:11:53 CET 2008

Snehitare,
I have updated all the files we have translated (except one or two,
which I am yet to get). I guess it is time to take a look at what we
did till last October and then move ahead. Here is a gist of it-
It is now history that we did not make it to kde 4.0 also. It would do
good to look at how short we fell and how much more we need to work to
barely enter the league of languages which come with kde by default.
Here is the list of teams with what they have achieved on the essential list-
http://www.l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/essential.php
Clearly, we were 75% done on the list. The rest 25% was kdebase (the
main stuff), in which we fell short by a good margin. However, the
status on page
http://www.l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/
will take some time to reflect the latest commits. But here is the
actual statistics of kdebase-

Total strings-9305
Translated-2663
Untranslated-6210
Fuzzy-432
% Translated=28.6%

So we fell short by a good 45% (for kdebase, the minimum to be
translated is 75%).
So, essentially, we are short by about 4000 strings. So there was no
way we could have done it. Still we need to put in a good effort to
make it. Also, some of the files we had translated are already
obsolete (but they have appeared in different names. so, the effort
wont go waste).

I would like to thank all these people for their support during this
period. Here is the list of translators who participated in the latest
efforts and their contributions-

Translator ---- Agreed to translate (no of strings) ----- Actually
Translated (no of strings)---- %
Manu                ----- 1081 ---- 928 ---- 81.0%
Shankar Prasad  ----  914  ---- 75  ----  08.2%
Girish Mirji         -----  1880 --- 48 ----   02.55%
Umesh              -----  4810 --- 3309 --- 68.7%
Mahesha           -----  766   -- 108   --- 14.0%
Ramaprakasha   -----  1516 --- 1146  -- 75.5%
Paresh               ----   911  ---  349  --- 38.3%
Shambu Lingiah  ----  2873 ---  1251 -- 43.5%
Adarsha              ----  59    ---  58   ---- 98.0%

I do not know the status of translations with Sudarshan and Prasad Onkar.
As we can see, the failure was mainly becuase, most of us promised a
lot and delivered very little (including myself). I hope to learn from
Adarsha/Manu and Rampa next time.