A step by step guide to setting up Lokalize & svn for translations

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar at indlinux.org
Fri Aug 28 07:53:05 BST 2020

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 13:57:20 +0530
Raghavendra Kamath wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I recently started using Lokalize & svn to work on Hindi
> translations for KDE. The Lokalize handbook [1] is a good resource
> but I felt that I needed more simplified step by step guide to set
> up the work environment and get started.
>
> After setting it up for my self I am sharing it here so that any
> new Lokalize & svn user will find it easy. I can also direct new
> users to this mail for setting up their environment. This guide is
> made for linux users but you can use it for other platforms too
> except for the step where we install the software. So here it goes.

I was going to create a document with screenshots etc. but anyways
this helps enough.
<snip>

> *General*
> ID: kde-hi
> Target language: Hindi(hi)
> Root folder : path of the hi folder that we cloned
> Glossary: path_of_the_hi_folder/terms.tbx

I assume you manually adding terms in Lokalize for glossary.

Another way is to create a translation memory.

>From Tools menu -> Manage translation memories.
Click Create -New Translation Memory.
Set the name (kde-hindi-tms), database to local. Set source
(English) , target (Hindi). and click Ok.
Then select the created entry and click Add Data.
In the file dialog browse to the hi/ folder - where svn hindi folder
is checked out.
Adding this folder then it scans all the files and adds past
translations into translation memory.

When a new empty PO file is being edited, suggestions will show up,
so some work can be completed faster.

I recently finished about 60 small files using this method, in just
about 2 hrs.

If not using Lokalize or not having Linux system, there is another
method, will post in another mail.

Karunakar