[Kde-kiosk] Apply to user

NÉMETH Balázs barack at arwin.hu
Thu Mar 4 10:50:29 CET 2010

  Hello Tolga,

the kiosk-list and the kiosk project seems to be almost dead. Altough
the kiosk framework  is  implemented in  KDE4.4  in the text based
config files, but  no GUI tool to configure it.

Kiosk Admin Tool made for  KDE 3.x years ago, it is not for KDE 4.x

The lack of  a usable  KIOSK (lock down and policy) framework is an
absolut "show stopper" in the enterprise environment, but I think this
topic is completely out of the scope of the leading developers. More eye
candy, more social networking, more desktop search, more and more theme;
but nothing in the area of a manageable, enterprise ready desktop.

We sholud have ignore  KDE 4.x as a viable alternative in a large
desktop project (3000 + desktop) due to the lack of  a clean, usable
lock down - policy - remote manageamble framework.

It is sad to say, but GNOME is the right choice in the enterprise
desktop I think (lock down, policies and remote acces  thanks to
gconfd...). KDE 4.x is for the home user (eye candy), for the
adventurous (like me in an enterprise environment) and for netbook
users. Maybe it would be enterprise ready in the future, but it is not
at the moment.

I recommend to you for reading a blog entry from A. J. Seigo  which is
completely disappointing for me as a BackOffice Services & Desktop
Management engineer  ("we still dont have a KDE4 GUI config frontend for
KIOSK"):

" key quest: deployability
Deployability. Is that even a word? :) I love it for how ambiguous it
is, even though it's pretty obvious what it probably refers to. So what
exactly was I thinking about when I put "Deployability" on my list?

It is a potentially big topic. We could end up discussing user/group
profile management and how _/*we still don't have a KDE4 GUI
configuration front end for Kiosk, like that KDE3 KioskTool,*/_ to make
setting up such systems easier. (Side note: good news on the Plasma
Desktop front! In KDE SC 4.4 will support all the Kiosk keys that
KDesktop/Kicker used to respect.) While we certainly need something in
this category (and had at least one good start to it), that isn't what
this blog entry is about.  "

Very promising ...

Have a nice day: Balázs NÉMETH
Hungary, Budapest