[Kde-kiosk] Customizing KDE4

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Dec 14 13:20:05 CET 2009

Heyho!

[ are these lists still active? ]

I'm trying to do some basic customization of KDE4 (using Debian squeeze,
currently at KDE 4.3.2; update to 4.3.4 comes in soon-ish)  I was told that
the basic configuration file mechanism is basically the same between kde 3
and 4, but so far it doesn't work.

 -> how do I debug what configuration is getting read?

 -> I tried:
# cat /etc/kderc
[Directories]
kioskAdmin=root:
profileDirsPrefix=/srv/settings/kde
userProfileMapFile=/srv/settings/kde/usermap

[Directories-prof0]
ProfileInstallUser=root
prefixes=/srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0
# cat /srv/settings/kde/usermap
[General]
groups=mygrp

[Groups]
mygrp=prof0

and in the /srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0 directory:

# find /srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0/ -type f
/srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

where the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file was copied from a manually
configured desktop session.

I completely deleted ~/.kde on my test user, but the desktop was initialized
with default settings; it seems my configuration is completely ignored.

(the goal of the whole thing is to provide
 -> the old style K menu
 -> some default application start buttons (and director links) in the
taskbar.)

Help appreciated
cheers
-- vbi

--
There's got to be more to life than compile-and-go.