[Kde-kiosk] Multimedia Kiosk - Marketing Display

James Stout james.stout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:07:07 CET 2006

I'm pretty new to the Linux/KDE kiosk idea.  Currently, my organization has
two Windows-Based kiosks which, as you may expect, crash and crash often.
Part of this I blame on the manufacturer, and part I blame on M$ for their
unstable OS.  Back on subject, I would love to migrate these machines over
to Linux/KDE, but am uncertain on how to do so.  My experience with linux is
limited to office productivity and a couple of small LAMP servers.  Let me
describe our kiosks and maybe someone can help me figure this one out.

Our kiosks use three 17" LCD monitors to basically display marketing
content.  These monitors are aligned in a column in a totem-like chasis,
with the PC inside the bottom.  The center monitor is a touchscreen, but we
are not currently using that funcionality and therefore I am not going to
request assistance with that (yet).

Each display shows content independent of the other, i.e. one is not an
extension of the other nor are they clones.  The content also is in a loop.

The types of content include Flash (non-interactive) and Powerpoint (which
can be easily exported to quicktime or avi).

We are currently able to schedule the content (i.e. start playing on X date
/ stop playing on Y date).  As nice as this would be, I would be just as
happy with an automatic playlist built from a specific directory.  Like a
SMB share that I where I can add/remove files to be played.

We are able to schedule what hours per day the kiosk is in operation.  i.e.
it displays content from 6 am to 11:59 pm.  To save on monitor life.

As much as I would like to have all these features in a stable, reliable
system, I realize that some of it may be beyond the scope of my abilities or
even beyond what fellow subscribers may want to help with.

I have no problem using Suse, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, or FC4 to make this happen.
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

James Stout