[Kde-kiosk] Limiting actions and other restrictions by using unix groups

Gmail Collector bigcollector8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:55:01 CET 2006

Greetings,

I have reviewed the past postings again, and have discovered what may be a
big part of my problem.  I am running Debian Sarge 2.6.12-1-686-smp with KDE
3.4.  I see  that xdg could be a contributing factor.

I see that many posts refer to a patch regarding this problem, however with
Debian I'm not sure whether it has been patched or not.  Any pointers on how
to determine this?

I tried the fix listed by Jasper van der Marel to remove the
kde-applications.menu file, which just decimated the start menu.  This leads
me to believe that my current KDE configuration is not correct, as it
appears not to read the profiles at all.  Any pointers on fixing the
configuration if it is incorrect?

# echo $KDEDIRS, I get no return, is that correct?

# kde-config --path xdgconf-menu
/root/.config/menus/:/etc/xdg/menus/

As far as being proficient at technical writing, I have no experience, but
am willing to help if I can.  Anything an old wannabe can do?  As far as
tutorials or setup instructions, would it not be better if it was written by
a dummy who has done it successfully and can relay the steps in plain terms,
so that other lay people can understand?  I believe I can fulfill the
requirements of a dummy.

Gary