[Kde-kiosk] Limiting actions and other restrictions by using unix groups

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 16:05:24 CET 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 10:19, Gmail Collector wrote:
> Yes, that does help, I guess I mainly wanted to confirm that I wasn't
> wasting my time trying to use unix groups in vain.  I believe that my
> problem might be using a user profile.  However I thought that by making
> the group configurations immutable it would over ride the user profiles in
> that group.

Yes, one would expect that. It bit me in the proverbial behind too when I
found that out ;)

> All of the pages that I have studied have gone into details regarding the
> groups within the configurations and have not mentioned the unix groups
> feature.  The only clue that I got was from Kiosk Admin, which I have been
> experimenting with.  So I must be looking at the wrong documents, or
> misinterpreting them.

Actually, the documentation is simply incomplete. The existing docs indeed
talk mostly (if not exclusively) about how the Kiosk system works at the
KConfig level, but there is very little documentation on how the actual
assignment of profiles works and how the system determines which profile to
apply.

(Note to anyone who is proficient at writing technical documentation: this
might be a nice junior job to get involved with KDE. Contributions are more
than welcome :) )