[Kde-kiosk] Limiting actions and other restrictions by using unix groups

Gmail Collector bigcollector8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:19:09 CET 2006

On 2/12/06, Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 12 February 2006 00:40, Gmail Collector wrote:
> > I have googled hundreds of pages, all of which refer to "groups" as the
> > headings (or similar) within the configuration files.
>
> Quite possible in this context ;)
>
> > When I use the kiosk admin tool, I get the impression that I can control
> > features by different unix groups (listed in /etc/groups).
>
> That's also true.
>
> The word "group" has two different meanings in the Kiosk context. One
> being
> the Unix group, and one being the Config Group.
>
> > This is the behavior that I am searching for, however my attempts at
> setting
> > up group restrictions have failed.  Is there a "howto" or tutorial
> regarding
> > the setting up of "unix group" restrictions, or am I missing the whole
> > picture?
>
> I don't think there's a tutorial covering just this. Most Kiosk tutorials
> probably *do* cover the group setup as part of a bigger whole though.
> At least it's the most natural way to set up bigger systems, so I expect
> tutorials to cover this subject.
>
> What exactly is not going as expected? The general procedure is as
> follows:
>
> 1. Create the appropriate Unix group
> 2. Make the test user member of the group
> 3. Configure a kiosk profile and assign it to the group
> 4. Make sure there is no profile assigned to the user, since user profiles
> take precedence over group profiles, disabling the group profile
>
> Does that help?
>
> --
> Martijn

Yes, that does help, I guess I mainly wanted to confirm that I wasn't
wasting my time trying to use unix groups in vain.  I believe that my
problem might be using a user profile.  However I thought that by making the
group configurations immutable it would over ride the user profiles in that
group.

All of the pages that I have studied have gone into details regarding the
groups within the configurations and have not mentioned the unix groups
feature.  The only clue that I got was from Kiosk Admin, which I have been
experimenting with.  So I must be looking at the wrong documents, or
misinterpreting them.  Thanks for your help, I'll continue on my quest to
use Kiosk Admin.

Gary