[Kde-kiosk] CDROM icon

Mark Whidby mark.whidby at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 13:27:28 CEST 2006

Michael Mariani and Kay Giles wrote:
> I am stumped by this behavior using kiosktool under Red Hat WS4, KDE.
>
> I have 1 account in addition to superuser, visitor.
>
> I log in as root and run kiosktool to create profile, which is also
> called visitor.  I assigned the visitor profile to visitor account and
> then re-login as visitor.  The desktop contains a CDROM icon (nothing in
> CD drive)  and the trash can.  I used Control Center to make sure all
> device icons are displaying, but it is still there.  I go back to root
> account and un-assign the kiosktool profile, then re-login as visitor
> and the icon is gone!  When I re-assign the profile from kiosktool and
> try again, the icon re-appears!  AAaaRrrgghh!  Why does the icon show up
> only when kiosktool is assigned to visitor and how can I remove it?
>
> I have also tried to remove the trash can icon, with not success.
> Anybody know how to permanently remove it from the desktop?

Well, I think I've managed to suppress all desktop icons by manually
adding this section:

[General]
AutoLineUpIcons=false
Enabled=false
SetVRoot=true

to the file /etc/kde-profile/phlab/share/config/kdesktoprc
where 'phlab' is the name of my profile.

It seems to work...

--
Mark Whidby
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences