[Kde-kiosk] copying to new machine

Klaus Weidenbach Klaus.Weidenbach at gmx.net
Sun Aug 27 08:56:51 CEST 2006

Hello,

> All machines are same kernel, so how can I transfer the bianary files only
> and not have to send source and re-compile on every machine.  In other
> words, can I just transfer the bianaries and if so, what directories should
> be copied.

Why do you need kiosktool on all machines? I have it only on one machine where
I create the profiles and then I just copy all necessary kiosk profiles
trough scp or rsync to the other machines. I think kiosktool has even support
for scp but I think just for one remote machine. I wrote a little shell
script that syncs the remote machines with the one where I have created it
with kiosktool.
Otherwise I am not using RedHat, but doesn't there exists tools how to create
packages from source for RedHat? I created this way my own package for
Slackware.

> I created a profile called visitor, which is located in the default
> directory for 'profile1'  What do I need to copy to my new machine(s) to
> use this profile without having to re-create on the new machine?

I think I used something like this first, but is just out of head right now:
scp -pr /etc/kderc /etc/kde-user-profile /etc/kde-profile/ remotehostname:/etc
But maybe rsync is a better solution.

--
take care!

xo,klaus