[Kde-kiosk] newbie

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Aug 21 16:40:11 CEST 2006

On Saturday 19 August 2006 00:52, Michael Mariani and Kay Giles wrote:
> I have 2 older machines that I am using to install as kiosks in our new
> little surfing museum, www.cstreetsurfingmuseum.com.
> I installed kiosk on the first machine and it works, but I haven't learned
> everything about it yet.  That machine is pretty slow,
> so I installed on second machine and I am running into difficulties.  I
> installed from source and compiled on both machines.
> I think I must have installed in an incorrect directory on the second
> machine, because every time I try to run, it tells me that it cannot find
> the xml data file.  I also have to run from command line, because it was
> not added to my menu, which is different than machine one.
>
> My questions:
> Am I better off to un-install and re-install?  If so, can someone tell me
> how to do this.
> If I keep existing, how can I fix the xml_data problem and adding to my
> menu.

I assume kiosktool installs to /usr/local by default but fails to look there
for it's xml file. If yu uninstall kiosktool, and re-run configure with
--prefix set to the location of your other KDE files (e.g. /usr or /opt/kde3)
things will work.

Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation