[Kde-kiosk] Keyboard layout selection in KDEcontrol gone

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Wed Nov 9 12:20:36 CET 2005

Hi list,

- I installed the latest Kiosk on SuSE10 and tried to work with it. Not very
succesfully, the fish thing doesn't really work on SuSE as yet.
- however, somewhere along the line, two things went VERY wrong.

a)
Any newly created user can select Kcontrol and use Regional settings. But use
keyboard mapping is grayed out -and no keyboard mappings are available.

b)
When a newly created user opens a shell, the prompt is the old native Linux
promt. The fancy (and MUCH better) SuSE style prompt is gone.

I only wish I could follow the sequence of KDE readings/mergins, but I can't.
I'm cannot for the life of me see where the settings a wrong. I've renamed
all kiosk supplied profiles in order to get rid of those. This works.
I've edited, using the [$i] scheme, the files
in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdeglobals - this works just fine as to prevent
users from changing screensaver, no_of_desktops etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Verner

--