[Kde-kiosk] Kiosk for Suse Enterprise 9 x86_64

Michael Manke manke-m at stegl-zehl.verwalt-berlin.de
Tue May 10 09:51:29 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 19:41 schrieb john_ozarchuk at goodyear.com:
> Has anyone had success or issues with Kiosk on SuSe Enterprise 9, x86_64?
> I am running KDE 3.2.1 with  SLES9, on a 2.6 kernel.  I can run Kiosk, but
> it is flaky.  Some of the functionality is there (desktop wallper, KDE
> powerbar configuration), but the Kmenuedit functionality does not work, nor
> does applying settings to Groups.
>
> I thought if somebody has had success (or failure), we could swap stories?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Hi,
Yes, I use a "Open Web Access"-Server (like Citrix, but OpenSource: SLES9,
Nomachine NX, KDE, KMail, Konqueror, Acrobat Reader, OpenOffice, Cups and
some little other KDE programs) to provide secure Surf&Mail for more than 700
users and I use KIOSK 0.9 (from Suse 9.2).  It works very good and stable on
HP Compaq DL380 G3 3,1GHz, 4GB RAM, SAN-Storage (more than 60 users/server at
the same time, the border of capacity hasn't reached yet).
SLES 9 has all recommended YOU updates. OpenOffice (from SuSE 9.2) is the only
non KDE program, the users get. The Desktop, Panel, Proxy settings, Konqueror
settings, usable programs are immutable.

Regards

Michael Manke
IT15
Bezirksamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf von Berlin
Schloßstr. 80
12154 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 90299 3260
Fax.: +49 30 90299 3988