[Kde-kiosk] Follow symbolic links with restricted browsing

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon May 2 14:50:13 CEST 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 08:56, Murray Trainer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are using NFS home directories for our users and use the KDE kiosk
> tool to prevent them browsing outside their home directory.  It doesn't
> appear to be possible to mount shares under their NFS mounted home
> directory so I tried mounting shares elsewhere and used symbolic links
> to make them appear they are under the users home.  Unfortunately a
> KDE/Kiosk Tool profile with browsing above the user's home directory
> disabled, wont allow me to follow the symbolic links and access the
> mounted share.  I assume the entries below in the kdeglobals file are
> the relevant ones.  Is there any way I can keep browsing above the home
> directory off but allow users to follow symbolic links?
>
> Thanks
>
> Murray
>
> [KDE Custom Restrictions]
> restrict_file_browsing=true
>
> [KDE URL Restrictions][$i]
> rule_1=list,,,,file,,,false
> rule_2=list,,,,file,,$HOME,true
> rule_count=2

You can explicitly allow the location where the shares are mounted. E.g. if
they are mounted under /mounted_shares/ you could change kdeglobals like
this:

[KDE Custom Restrictions]
restrict_file_browsing=true

[KDE URL Restrictions][$i]
rule_1=list,,,,file,,,false
rule_2=list,,,,file,,$HOME,true
rule_3=list,,,,file,,/mounted_shares,true
rule_count=3

Another option is to see if you can use mount --bind instead of a symlink to
get the share to appear under the users home directory.