[Kde-kiosk] newbie question

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 18:32:32 CET 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 17:24, Ryan Punt wrote:
> The only problem I'm having at this point is that logging in as root at
> the console gives me a FVWM session, not KDE.  The FVWM session loads
> YAST2, so administration is possible, but I'm annoyed by this change.
> I've looked through the kiosk tool and no profiles are active, but I've
> no idea how to restore my typical root session.  Google has turned up
> nothing but the apparently-self-replicating Linux Magazine "Kiosk Howto"
> article.  Can anyone help?

First of all I would like to recommend you to *NOT* run your desktop as root.
Even a system administrator in Linux generally doesn't ever need to run an
entire desktop as root.

That having said, I wonder what you mean by "[...] but I'm annoyed by this
change". Has it worked correctly before and stopped now? Or has it never
worked?

If it has stopped working properly, could it be that the kde3rc you're listing
is different from SuSE 9.2's? If you don't know I can try to compare the file
tomorrow at work where I have a mostly vanilla 9.2 system. My laptop at home
is running a quite heavily modified 9.1 and thus no longer qualifies...