[Kde-kiosk] how to force users to log into KDE (modify KDM menu)

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Mon Jun 20 18:34:07 CEST 2005

Quoth Mr Wiggles.....
>Ok, I read that section....not sure where I was "supposed" to find it
>but I googled and found it here:

<snip Xsession editing stuff>

Not sure that helps you control kdm 3.2 onwards.  To quote from the kdm
README:  "The way session types are configured changed drastically in
KDE 3.2".

It goes on to says that the whole session thing has changed to
'.desktop' type files.  To the kde startup is now controled by
xxx.desktop in .../kdm/sessions.

However the Xsession stuff is still in the kdmrc file :-( Confusing.

The README says that you can override or mask the 'shipped' session
types with .desktop files containing "Hidden=yes".  Unfortunatley, the
inbuild 'custom, default and failsafe' entries can't be masked in this
way as, from the source code for kdm 3.3.2 around line 459, it seems to
always force these default entries onto the menu.

What would be simpler for kiosk environments is a switch to just turn
off the Menu button and have a default session (it doesn't seem possible
to set a default session type for first time login).

Hmmmm....  and kdm used to be nice for kiosk use :-(

--
 Regards,
     Russell