[Kde-kiosk] how to force users to log into KDE (modify KDM menu)

Mr Wiggles astalavista.box.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:52:37 CEST 2005

I have posted this question everywhere I can find online and got not a
single answer.
Since using any other session type to log in to KDE would bypass
KDE-KIOSK I am confident that ONE of you on this list will have the
answer, otherwise, please let me know how you find kiosk effective if
users can select the session type of their choice.

I am running suse 9.1pro but I think this question is only specific to
KDE (running 3.2) and not the distro...

How can I lock down kdm so that when users are logging in they are
only able to login to a kde session? I have set this box up as a kiosk
using kde-kiosk, sadly if they click menu (wouldnt mind getting rid of
this button altogether) -> session type -> and select something else
like admin or failsafe, or anything really.....they circumvent all the
kiosk restrictions that we have in place.

/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdm/sessions contains .desktop files that people
say reference all of the session types but there are session types
that appear at the kdm login screen that do not appear in this dir and
lots of .desktop files that are in this dir that do not appear as
session type options at the login screen.

there is also the kdmrc file which I have heard contains a
SessionType= line that specifies what sessions a user can select from
but even after modifying this line nothing changes in the session type
menu at the kdm login screen.

So ideally...how can i remove the menu option from the login screen
altogether, or alternatively how can i make it so that "KDE" is the
only option under the session types drop down under the menu.

tia