[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Sun Jan 23 16:42:24 CET 2005

Waldo Bastian wrote:

>On Saturday 22 January 2005 07:21, Murray Trainer wrote:
>

>>I am only creating a few accounts for trial users at this stage so I can
>>live with the problem for a while.  I have been pushing a bit now to try
>>and resolve this problem because it will be real pain later in a
>>production environment with lots of users.  We have definitely narrowed
>>the problem down a fair bit.  I will see if I can get a copy of the SuSE
>>source code for the groups command and have a look at the relevant
>>section.  I will see if I can keep this moving towards resolution while
>>you are busy.  Waldo Bastian is the original author of the Kiosk Tool -
>>some feedback from him might be helpful if he is available.
>>

>groups is an alias for "id -Gn", what do you get when you run "id"?
>
>id uses getgroups to find the secondary groups, just like current KDE
>versions. Older KDE versions still relied on the users returned by getgrnam
>which had some issues. Which version of KDE are you using, the one from SUSE
>9.1 or the one from 9.2?
>
>Which version of kiosktool are you using? Does the profile show up in
>"kiosktool-kdedirs" as opposed to "kiosktool-kdedirs --check" ?
>
>Cheers,
>Waldo

Hi Waldo,

I am using Suse 9.1 but I have upgraded KDE to 3.3.0.  I am using the
latest Kiosk tool for Suse - 0.9-2.1.  I can try upgrading KDE on my
test system to 3.3.2 if you think that might fix the problem.  I
intended to do it at some stage anyway.  The output from the id command
below is correct as gls in not in the external group and mtrainer is.

ldap:~ # su - gls
gls at ldap:~> id
uid=501(gls) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),513(Domain Users)
gls at ldap:~> logout
ldap:~ # su - mtrainer
mtrainer at ldap:~> id
uid=500(mtrainer) gid=100(users)
groups=100(users),500(external),513(Domain Users)

Thanks

Murray