[Kde-kiosk] Problem with Applying Group Profiles to new Users

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Jan 22 18:22:59 CET 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 07:21, Murray Trainer wrote:
> I am only creating a few accounts for trial users at this stage so I can
> live with the problem for a while.  I have been pushing a bit now to try
> and resolve this problem because it will be real pain later in a
> production environment with lots of users.  We have definitely narrowed
> the problem down a fair bit.  I will see if I can get a copy of the SuSE
> source code for the groups command and have a look at the relevant
> section.  I will see if I can keep this moving towards resolution while
> you are busy.  Waldo Bastian is the original author of the Kiosk Tool -
> some feedback from him might be helpful if he is available.

groups is an alias for "id -Gn", what do you get when you run "id"?

id uses getgroups to find the secondary groups, just like current KDE
versions. Older KDE versions still relied on the users returned by getgrnam
which had some issues. Which version of KDE are you using, the one from SUSE
9.1 or the one from 9.2?

Which version of kiosktool are you using? Does the profile show up in
"kiosktool-kdedirs" as opposed to "kiosktool-kdedirs --check" ?

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html