[Kde-kiosk] KDE 3.3.1 seems to get exec expansion wrong

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jan 21 13:09:51 CET 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 10:42, Russell Brown wrote:
> I've updated my system to KDE 3.3.1 (debian), NOT changed my global
> config files and now the expansion of shell commands doesn't work.
>
> For example, in my global kmailrc I've the lines:
>
> 	[Identity #0]
> 	Organization[$ei]=$(getdef COMPANY)
>
> (getdef is a utility that returns a string).
>
> Pre 3.3.1 (using 3.2.3), the Organization is kmail would be set to the
> string that getdef prints.
>
> Now (3.3.1) the Organisation field contains "$(getdef COMPANY)" - ie no
> shell expansion is being done.  As I use shell expansion to fill in lots
> of defaults this isn't good news :-(
>
> Any idea what's changed?  Is this intentional?

KMail changed the layout of its configuration files and now stores identities
in a file named "emailidentities". I guess the migration of settings didn't
go too well, we don't really handle migration of locked down settings,
although it is surprising to see "$(getdef COMPANY)" appear literally. Seems
to be a bug in kconf_update.

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html