[Kde-kiosk] stopping the blank screen

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Aug 16 17:29:50 CEST 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 16:48, Lon Gilbert wrote:
>> This may be an old question but it's new to me. My screen is blanking
>> after about 3 minutes of the banner screen saver. I have tried running
>> setterm -blank 0 but that doesn't seem to work. What does?
>
>This seems like a power management issue to me.
>
>(Assuming KDE 3.4, menus may be differently named in other versions:)
>Right click your desktop and select Properties. Go to the Display module
> and to the Power Control tab. There you can select the values that you
> want.

If it is, this shortcut will turn it off:
	xset -dpms

It won't turn off permanently, as it is turned back on by the X server
when restarting and by the KDE module. But it will help you find out if
this is the case.

xset q will also give you some information:
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 300    Suspend: 1200    Off: 1800
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is Off

If any of the times is 180s (3 minutes), you've found your culprit.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.