[Kde-kiosk] URL Restrictions (Re: newbie- Library Computer running SuSE 9.2 Pro)

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Apr 11 15:06:44 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 11:43, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> The ability to distinguish between allowing one to list the contents of
> a directory and accessing a known file in a directory or listing the
> contents of deeper directorties is an essential system administrative
> tool and should not be removed from Kiosk as you suggested.

Hmm, I would actually expect that a Kiosk profile that allows List and Read
to /media/cdrom does not need any additional rights to /media/. As such the
need for the fine-grained access control is a lot less than on Unix
filesystems where the high-level dirs need the x bit set.

My suggestion to simplify the whole thing was therefore based on this
assumption, and the idea that a KDE Kiosk needs less restrictive settings
than the underlying file system does -- after all it's a layer on top of it,
and best practices prescribe that you also take care of unix permission.

I find it an interesting thought that you see them as similar to unix
permissions whereas my view is that they could be a much simpler subset of
the full access rights because there will always be the OS' own underlying
permission system. Which view is better, I don't know, I just find it
interesting :)

> So long as you are suggesting that a fourth action be added to Kiosk's
> URL restriction capabilities rather than some be removed and/or
> combined - IMHO.

Fine with me. In a Kiosk/GUI environment I don't really see much use for Read
and List separated, IMNSHO that's too low-level, but it doesn't hurt as it's
already there anyway. All I'm asking for is a simpler setting in the more
common use case.