[Kde-kiosk] URL Restrictions (Re: newbie- Library Computer running SuSE 9.2 Pro)

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at kdemail.net
Mon Apr 11 11:43:33 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 10:04, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 18:36, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> > What's the rationale of the filesystem having the read attribute
> > for directories?
<snip>
> To avoid disclosing extra information you thus need the distinction
> between exec and read.

Exactly. And it is used in far more circumstances than just apache.

The ability to distinguish between allowing one to list the contents of
a directory and accessing a known file in a directory or listing the
contents of deeper directorties is an essential system administrative
tool and should not be removed from Kiosk as you suggested.

Actually - you didn't say removed, you said:

> What's the rationale behind this? Or is there no real reason and does
> it just happen to be like this? (I ask because I can't think of a good
> reason for this, so it might make sense to change this as well in KDE
> 4.)

So I would say that it should most definately not be changed.

> The more common case is to have the two combined though. Windows
> solves this by having 'read & execute' in the normal GUI and the
> finer-grained separation between the two is hidden under the Advanced
> button. Now I don't want to encourage anyone to clone the Windows
> GUI, which is a horrid dialog, but the idea to have read-exec by
> default combined and the split options only there where they actually
> make sense is worth pursuing if you ask me.

So long as you are suggesting that a fourth action be added to Kiosk's
URL restriction capabilities rather than some be removed and/or
combined - IMHO.

B.

--
Regards,