[Kde-kiosk] A nice uniform desktop for all users...

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Tue Sep 14 22:44:10 CEST 2004

Hi Group

Oh dear...I thought I had understood how the kiosk-tool was working. Alas, I
still don't get it :-)

I'm running SuSE9.1/KDE3.2.1 on a large SUN machine. This one acts as a
"super-server" for a number of thin-clients via XDMCP. This works perfectly
well.

What I'd like to do is this:

a) Create a "master" desktop with preferred colours, background, icons,
shortcuts to certain programmes and so. Nothing fancy.

b) Possibly prevent people (ordinary users, no experts or hardcore hackers..)
from selecting a fancy pause screen - as this pulls out lots of empty
CPU-power.

c) Make this master desktop appear as the default desktop at their first login
time. That is, when creating the user, this desktop with those restrictions
should be the desktop of the new user.

As I understand it, this is what I should do:

a) create a brand new user, lets call him MasterUser.
b) modify his desktop to look the preferred way. No mouse theme and so.
c) Copy this desktop (what files?) to a place (skeleton..??) from where they
would act as the standard template for the users to come.
d)Use kiosktool to setup some simple rules. They would go
into /etc/kde-profile/profile1/share/config....from where they should be
copied to where?
e) Edit the /opt/kde/bin/startkde file (As I'm using SuSE9.1/KDE3.2.1). At the
end of that file I would add:

"export KDEDIRS=$(kiosktool-kdedirs)"

Create a ton of new users, all with usernames and passwords.
All the users are kids and teachers at our 100% linux equipped school. At some
point in the future it would be nice to be able to group users into
categories, so the teachers would get the simple desktops and the kids the
fancy ones :-) But for now, the above mentioned will do very fine.

Of course, I've got too many questions and too few talents. Anyway, any
(however brief and short) help is appreciated. And I apologize for the long
posting.

Best regards,
Verner Kjærsgaard
Denmark