[Kde-kiosk] Kiosktool Wishlist: Set profile based on environment variable.

Martijn Dekkers martijn.dekkers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 13:21:39 CEST 2004

Hi Martijn,

> > This would be useful in situtations where a user is presented with
> > several choices at login, for example a "low bandwidth desktop" and a
> > "high bandwidth desktop".

<snip>

> This really calls for a directory service, be it Novell NDS, Microsoft Active
> Directory or plain LDAP to store network-wide settings. If KDE were to
> support these in a generic way that would be great. I'm wondering what parts
> are actually needed here and how much work it would be. (And whether I'd have
> the time and resources to write it or whether I have to leave it for someone
> else.)

Hmm, statically storing this doesn't sound like a good plan - how
about high speed networks that are temporarirly, but frequently,
slowed down due to traffic (multimedia streaming, software updates,
etc)? you would want to be able to degrade gracefully, and preferably
on the fly :-)

Martijn (Dekkers)