[Kde-kiosk] Re: Locale locked by Kiosk Tool?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Thu Sep 9 09:27:37 CEST 2004

Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 15:03, Erik Forsberg wrote:
> > In one of the directories generated by kiosktool, I've noticed a
> > share/config/kdeglobals with, among other things, the following:
> >
> > [Locale]
> > Country=sv
> > Language=sv:SE
> >
> > Does this mean that the locale for a user using a kiosk profile is
> > locked and set by the kiosk tool?
>
> It's set, but not locked, because there's no immutable flag in the
> setting.

Ah. Of course.

> You should consider this as the default for your users (which usually makes
> sense), but users can still override if they want.

The problem is that in my situation, I want to set the locale for my
users before starting KDE. I can't see any easy way to do that,
without fiddling with their config files.

> > I'm perfectly happy
> > with setting the LANG environment variables to determine locale
> > settings.
>
> I don't think KDE supports $LANG at all, even in normal non-kiosk
> environments. There even is (used to be?) a reason for this, but I can't
> remember which. Coolo?

I'm pretty sure at least KDE 3.1 understood $LANG.

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com