[Kde-kiosk] SLES9 and Kiosk

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Oct 23 13:36:24 CEST 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 23:54, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> - I've made a mistake. Just bought SLES9 for an installation as a central
> server for a number of clients using the XDMCP protocol. I should not have
> listened to the advisors saying: "get the ultra stable SLES9...", I should
> have gone for the standard SuSE9.1 distro. But, I learn :-)

No, your decision was the right one.

> - The KDE version in SLES9 is KDE 3.2.1 - and kiosk requires KDE 3.2.2 as
> far as I know.

SLES9 has all the patches required for kiosktool. You don't need KDE 3.2.2

> - Now what? If I try to do an update using a pile of KDE3.3 rpm's, I land
> in dependency hell.
>
> - Has anyone got a suggestion as to how to get (at least) KDE 3.2.2 on a
> SLES9 box, - or where do I find the missing libraries (libjack.so.0 etc.)?
>
> - If KIOSK KDE3.2.2 (or higher) will not run on SLES9, it's not
> catastrophic though.  I'll just dump it and setup a standard SuSE9.1 :-)

SLES9 is based on SUSE Linux 9.1 but it has more patches and you will have
better support with SLES9. In particular SP1 will have some menu editing
annoyances fixed.

bastian at kde.org   |   SUSE LINUX 9.2: Order now!   |   bastian at suse.com
  http://www.suse.de/us/private/products/suse_linux/preview/index.html