[Kde-kiosk] Kiosk configuration

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Nov 22 23:31:08 CET 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 02:06, Jack wrote:
> the prob is that "configure a xwindow in such a way that as it bootsup, a
> web browser with specified website (e.g. yahoo.com) should be displayed.
> there should be no user login prompt at startup".

If you want to keep it easy you can configure an automatic login in the Login
Manager module of the System section in the KDE Control Center. Add the web
browser to the AutoStart folder.

> then the user don't hv option to perfrom any task other then browsing the
> specified website, like no maximize,minimize or close options of web
> browser.

With the above the user is still free to launch applications to do whatever
he/she wants. What you have to do now is at the very least use KioskTool to
setup a user profile and block a bunch of settings and probably avoid the
panel at the bottom of the screen from starting up by disabling the .desktop
file. You can find most (if not all) information in the archives of this
list.

From there on you'll need to play a bit with the system and see what is still
possible. The more you want to lock the system down from tampering, the more
you'll probably need to look up in the documentation, so I suggest you start
with the above before diving into the more advanced (and more secure) stuff.

Good luck!