[Kde-kiosk] newbie questions

Bruce Kiefaber kiefabeb at verona.k12.wi.us
Tue May 25 00:09:17 CEST 2004

Hello - I'm trying to put together a locked down image for use at our high school. I'm using SuSE 9.0 pro with KDE 3.1.

I have a root user and a "user". I'm trying to configure the user with a locked down desktop. I setup the look and feel using Control Center, then edit the files in /home/user/.kde/share/config to add [$i] to the first line in each file. When I login as user, I don't get the desktop configuration I saved. The panel, menus, colors etc. have changed. If I change the /home/user/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals file to remove the [$i] from the first line, I get my usual config.

How do I lockdown the kdeglobals file and still get the settings I want?

If I lockdown the kdeglobals file in /home/user/.kde/share/config, where do these other settings (panels, menu, colors etc.) come from?

Are there archives of this list that I could be reading to get up to speed?

Thanks for your assistance.

---
Bruce Kiefaber
Network Manager