[Kde-kiosk] no profiles?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jul 8 16:16:50 CEST 2004

On Thu July 8 2004 15:23, Mathias Adler wrote:
> Hi kiosk gurus!
> Im using SuSE 9.1 pro, kde 3.2.3 and kiosktool-0.5-3.
>
> My config files looks as follow:
>
> # more /etc/kde3rc
> [Directories]
> kioskAdmin=root:
> prefixes=/etc/opt/kde3/
> profileDirsPrefix=/etc/kde-profile/
> userProfileMapFile=/etc/kde-user-profile
>
> [Directories-profile1]
> ProfileDescription=test profile
> ProfileInstallUser=root
> prefixes=/opt/kde3/
>

> # more /etc/kde-user-profile
> [General]
> groups=
>
> [Users]
> mathiasa=profile1
>

> The problem is the that no profile is created. Not under /etc/kde-profile
> and not under /opt/kde3.

/etc/kde-profile and /opt/kde3 _ARE_ the profile directories so any setting
that you change for profile1 would for example be stored
in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdeglobals

At least that's what is supposed to happen :-)

> when I modify a profile it will update kdeglobal under ~root/.kde../../..
> so it will apply for root but not for the user I define.

It will use ~root/.kde-test/... as temporary location and then copy it to the
profile. ~root/.kde-test/ is normally not used by the root user.

Your choice of /opt/kde3 for your profile is a bit unfortunate though since
settings under /opt/kde3 will be used for everyone by default.

> Whats the case with /etc/kde3rc vs. /etc/kderc? Do I need to create kderc
> och a symlink to kde3rc?

If you use the SUSE KDE packages they will use /etc/kde3rc and you don't need
to do anything. If you have compiled KDE yourself it will use /etc/kderc and
you should symlink that file to /etc/kde3rc.

- --
bastian at kde.org  |   KDE Community World Summit 2004  |  bastian at suse.com
bastian at kde.org  | 21-29 August, Ludwigsburg, Germany |  bastian at suse.com