[Kde-kiosk] Example config file question Restated

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 18 10:51:05 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:38:41PM -0500, Russ Wright wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I don't think I asked my question very well.  I would like to use KDE3 in a
> public kiosk setting.  I'd like to put konqueror web browser in full screen
> mode with no task bar and prevent the user from doing anything that might
> compromise the system.

Heh - That definitely helps.   I've heard of people doing kiosks that
included a word processor, or other apps.  I guess kiosk is a little too
broad.

I've set up two Konqueror-based kiosks, thanks to the friendly folks here.

One is a KDE 3.1 one that I set up long, long ago, and seems to need some
tender loving care to fix it up.  (It's got a tiny hold in that the K menu
editor came back to life after upgrading from KDE 3.0.x to KDE 3.1, right
before putting it into the wild!)

The other is based on IceWM with Konqueror from KDE 3.1.5.  Right after 3.2
came out, I tried upgrading, but my kiosk config ("kdeglobals") seemed to
piss it off, so I had to downgrade back to 3.1.5 until I can find time
to figure out exactly what I need to take out of there to get it all working
right again.

> I believe the configuration could be in the kdeglobals file but might also be
> in a local file in the $KDEHOME directory.

Yep.  You can pout the kdeglobals IN $KDEHOME, or $KDEDIR.  The kiosk README
(available from CVS; I don't have the link handy, but it's been referenced
many places, and on this list a lot) explains the gorey details.

> Does anyone have a sample of a kdeglobals or local config file that puts kde
> into this mode?  I would like to see a sample so I can see what option would
> work best for my application.

I have a not-ready-for-public-consumption document that explains how I set up
the latest kiosk (which seems to be running well at the coffee shop where
I set it up, although the folks there don't seem to know exactly how to turn
the PC all the way off, or something...  the power button seems to insist on
being held down for many seconds, and I don't think the night shift knows ;) )
(That might be a BIOS config; I still need to check)

Check it out here.  The KDE part is mostly a dump of what I've got in the
config, and doesn't have much explanation as to WHY (which, as you can see,
most of the rest of the doc does).  I hope to expand the content some time
soon, and once I get KDE 3.2 working well, alter the doc to cover it.

So YMMV.  Excuse any mistakes, typos, or mispelings ;)

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/misc/kiosk/

(wow, has it REALLY been a MONTH since I last edited it?  shoot!)

Enjoy!

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com           "Hey Shatner, ya remember that episode of
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/   Space Trek where your show got cancelled?"