[Kde-kiosk] Alt F4 disable

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Dec 17 22:41:21 CET 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 22:28, Philippe Schroll wrote:
> > That said, I started working on KioskTool at the aKademy conference this
> > summer and promised Waldo to write some modules,
>
> does that include a modules for non KDE related programs, like Firefox too
> ?

At least my TODO doesn't, since supporting those would be a very complex thing
to do. Without using kdelibs (and thus the builtin Kiosk framework) it'll be
hard to get a compatible set of lockdown options.

There are a few ways to do such a thing, but none of them is perfect:

- Don't use firefox, but compile the Gecko engine that firefox uses with KDE
native widgets, which Zack Rusin and Lars Knoll wrote at aKademy this summer,
and use Konqueror instead. Pro: uses all of KDE's power and Konqueror's
kick-ass overall framework. Con: Doesn't support Firefox-specific extensions,
amongst other things.

- Make Firefox somehow support the KDE kiosk framework, perhaps by checking
for the relevant config files and parsing them or by using kdelibs directly.
Pro: it will still be firefox that you're using, no need to switch
applications. Con: it's a technical nightmare to write and support.

- Write a kiosk module that supports the firefox-specific settings, if any.
Pro: by far the easiest to write, assuming Firefox has lockdown support in
the first place. Con: It will be incompatible with the normal Kiosk
framework, so any global settings won't necessarily take effect and other
settings may behave differently then you're used to.

Anyway, I've been a happy Konqueror user since KDE 2.0, so I've no itch to
scratch here. It's not (and won't be) on my personal TODO unless it'd become
part of my day job.