[Kde-kiosk] Managing multiple workstations

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 12:10:40 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 04:10, Michael E. Hensley wrote:
> Is it possible to use the kiosk tool to lock down one specific desktop
> and then use that desktop for multiple users and workstations connected
> to a linux server? The workstations are logging in ldap to the linux
> server and are setting their home directory also on the linux server.
> If so could someone give me an idea how this would be done. thanks

You need to add an extra directory to KDE where it will look for its
configuration files. By default KDE looks in the installation dir
(e.g. /opt/kde3) and in the user's home directory.

Since you want to store common config files for all users but not on the
system itself both folders are out. Add another folder on the server which
will hold the configuration file and share that to your clients.

Next you need to modify /etc/kderc to add a folder to the Prefixes line. Or
rather, this used to be the procedure. Looking in my archives for this
mailing list I'm a bit confused. Seems like kiosktool does some things
slightly different. The part with the extra resource dir shared across the
network is still valid, but someone else on this list will need to detail how
you should configure the clients to use the extra dir.