[Kde-kiosk] Classroom control

Christopher Dawkins kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:56:35 +0000 (GMT)

I am trying to establish a controllable KDE desktop for the classroom
(all KDE apart from a couple of BBCs and one Archimedes) you can see at

  http://www.felsted.essex.sch.uk/~camera

and need some advice. My idea is to set up a user "kdelock1" the way I
want then ensure that other specified machines or users (at controllable
times) pick up this configuration. The best way to do this, I think, is to
insert softlinks in user directories from Xsession during startup,
softlinks from the user's .kde and wherever else is necessary ("Desktop"?)
to the equivalent files in ~kdelock1.

The Xsession and lock_active system works fine. It's described in

   http://www.felsted.essex.sch.uk/ict/kdelock.html

But the overall plan doesn't work, because I have not yet identified which
files/directories control what. Currently, for example, users get the
startup "Choose your country" script when their share is redirected, and
Konqueror complains it can't write its bookmarks. I'd like to retain the
Xsession idea, but with whatever other symlinks are necessary, unless
someone has a better idea for flexible time/station/user control. But I'd
very much like advice, or a pointer to suitable documentation, on what
should be redirected from the user to ~kdelock1 and what shouldn't.

The control does not need to be absolute. I am happy to offer users the
ability to alter their desktops to another configuration. The idea is
largely for class and voluntary use, and while in class we do have some
control over the users!

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3JG
01371-822698, mobile 07816 821659    cchd@felsted.essex.sch.uk