[Kde-kiosk] Some questions about Kiosk

Miguel Angel Alvarez kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:23:28 +0100

First of all thank you Bastian and Martjin.

>On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:47, Miguel Angel Alvarez wrote:
> > 1) I have created a folder on my desktop, if I double-click on the icon
> > there is an option available: Open Terminal Here which means that it is
> > possible for user to run a shell. I added run_command and shell_access
> > kdeglobals, what can I do now?
>
>That's a bug, fixed for KDE 3.1. In the meantime you could remove
>$KDEDIR/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/konsolehere.desktop

Ok, it's just fine, now that option is not working any more great!

> > 2) There are other options that are worrying me if I double-click on my
> > desktops icons:
> >    - Add to bookmarks
> >    - Open With
> >    - Edit File Type
>
>Not really possible so far, indeed. Fixed for KDE 3.1

I am currently using KDE 3.1 RC5, when you say "Fixed for KDE 3.1" does it
mean
it is already fixed on RC6 or it will be fixed for the stable version,
because I
would like to know if I can download RC6 an test it right now (It would be
fantastic!) or if I have to wait for stable version.

> > 4) How could I remove konqsidebar. I have put konq_sidebartng=false and
> > have removed konqsidebar in $KDEHOME/share/apps what is the
> > problem? Is there something I have missed? your instructions are very
>clear
> > when explaining konqsidebar
>
>Remove $KDEDIR/share/services/konq_sidebartng.desktop

I have followed your explanation, but now an error appears in the place
konqside used to be, when I open a directory with Konqueror it shows, "There
was an error opening /home/test/ it is a directory but a file was expected"
:-(
Mmm any idea? perhaps I must remove something else

> > 5) Could I remove the Direction,Edit,View... toolbar in Konqueror? I
>have
> > disabled most of the features so I don't mind if the users can't use
>that
> > toolbar
>
>Which toolbar is that?

Well in fact it is not a toolbar (sorry) it is the menu bar that usually
goes on top of any KDE (M$ Windows) window where the options Direction -
Edit -View -Go - Bookmarks -Tools - Options are placed.

> > And at last (I know this is not a good question though), only to show
>you
> > that we have to fight hard to show that KDE is a great desktop
>environment,
> > I have showed my colleagues the KDE desktop to my friends and colleagues
> > and the first thing they have said: "Where is the Start Icon?" obviously
>my
> > friends had been M$oftized.... but I have to work to made their lifes
> > easier... how could I change the K go button with a K followed by
>START!!
> > (it has been such an embarrassing experience...)
>
>It is loaded from $KDEDIR/share/icons/<THEME>/<SIZE>/apps/kmenu.png
>You can just change the image but it might be difficult to make it
>non-square.

OK! thank you! it works my users are not complaining! great!

>Cheers,
>Waldo
>--

Thanks a lot once again