[Kde-kiosk] Some questions about Kiosk

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:03:18 +0100

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:47, Miguel Angel Alvarez wrote:
> 1) I have created a folder on my desktop, if I double-click on the icon
> there is an option available: Open Terminal Here which means that it is
> possible for user to run a shell. I added run_command and shell_access to
> kdeglobals, what can I do now?

That's a bug, fixed for KDE 3.1. In the meantime you could remove
$KDEDIR/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/konsolehere.desktop

> 2) There are other options that are worrying me if I double-click on my
> desktops icons:
>    - Add to bookmarks
>    - Open With
>    - Edit File Type

Not really possible so far, indeed. Fixed for KDE 3.1

> 3) Is there a chance to avoid users moving the icons wherever they want on
> the desktop? It would nice to see Crystal icons ordered (students acts like
> vandals!)

Good point. Will be in KDE 3.1 ( editable_desktop_icons=false )

> 4) How could I remove konqsidebar. I have put konq_sidebartng=false and I
> have removed konqsidebar in $KDEHOME/share/apps what is the
> problem? Is there something I have missed? your instructions are very clear
> when explaining konqsidebar

Remove $KDEDIR/share/services/konq_sidebartng.desktop

> 5) Could I remove the Direction,Edit,View... toolbar in Konqueror? I have
> disabled most of the features so I don't mind if the users can't use that
> toolbar

Which toolbar is that?

> And at last (I know this is not a good question though), only to show you
> that we have to fight hard to show that KDE is a great desktop environment,
> I have showed my colleagues the KDE desktop to my friends and colleagues
> and the first thing they have said: "Where is the Start Icon?" obviously my
> friends had been M$oftized.... but I have to work to made their lifes
> easier... how could I change the K go button with a K followed by START!!
> (it has been such an embarrassing experience...)

It is loaded from $KDEDIR/share/icons/<THEME>/<SIZE>/apps/kmenu.png
You can just change the image but it might be difficult to make it non-square.

bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com