[Kde-kiosk] Some questions about Kiosk

Martijn Klingens kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:19:35 +0100

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:47, Miguel Angel Alvarez wrote:
> 1) I have created a folder on my desktop, if I double-click on the icon
> there is an option available: Open Terminal Here which means that it is
> possible for user to run a shell. I added run_command and shell_access to
> kdeglobals, what can I do now?

This is new in KDE 3.1, so if you're running KDE 3.0 I fear you're a bit out
of luck here.

> 2) There are other options that are worrying me if I double-click on my
> desktops icons:
>    - Add to bookmarks
>    - Open With
>    - Edit File Type

You can disable these actions by querying the proper actions to disable. As
for bookmarks, see also
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-kiosk&m=103943088331526&w=2

"open with" and "edit file type" should be disabled by disabling the right
action, like Waldo explained in
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-kiosk&m=102927474730496&w=2

> 3) Is there a chance to avoid users moving the icons wherever they want on
> the desktop? It would nice to see Crystal icons ordered (students acts like
> vandals!)

No sure if there's an option to 'lock' the icon positions. Waldo?

> 4) How could I remove konqsidebar. I have put konq_sidebartng=false and I
> have removed konqsidebar in $KDEHOME/share/apps what is the
> problem? Is there something I have missed? your instructions are very clear
> when explaining konqsidebar

Hmm. If all else fails you can remove the library itself from $KDEDIR/lib, but
that's really an ugly hack. I would say that disabling the action like all
others (see question 2) works as well though.

> 5) Could I remove the Direction,Edit,View... toolbar in Konqueror? I have
> disabled most of the features so I don't mind if the users can't use that
> toolbar

Which toolbar do you mean? In general you can disable toolbars by editing the
XMLGUI file, but in this case I wonder which toolbar you mean.

If you want to remove the toolbar-related actions, README.kiosk in
kdelibs/kdecore explains it quite well.

Also, a question for Waldo: does XMLGUI support the merging of all $KDEDIRS
that KConfig supports, i.e. can you mark certain toolbars immutable with $i?
As far as I can see this is not (yet?) possible.