[Kde-kiosk] still can't get it working

jef peeraer kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:56:45 +0100

i tried several things, but i still can't get it working. I describe my
procedure :
>KDEDIRS=/testkde/kde-shared:/testkde:$KDEDIRS
>KDEHOME=/testkde/kde-shared
I start up kde with a normal user. I tweak with the panel settings, remove
some icons, add some icons, idem dito with the menus, i remove a lot of items
from the menu.
Then i  issue
> dcop kicker qt/kicker quit
The panel disappears.
I manually edit kickerrc and add [$i] to the top and add some restrictions in
kdeglobals ( all in the directory /testkde/kde-shared/share/config ).
I then set KDEHOME=~/.kdetest ( in my bashrc ).   I logout kde and login
again, as a different user.
I get a totally different desktop, and in first instance the kicker was so
tall i didn't see it and i thought it was not there. The kicker is not what i
set it to, even so with the menu.
The ~/.kdetest directory gets initialised with different values.
I also tried the trick with setting kickerrc to a save place, logging out ,
moving it back, but it didn't help. It only worked for the user, where i made
the changes with , and again, the immutable thing didn't work. The
permissions were set correctly ( found that out already ).

What's the correct way to get it going! Can i enable some logging perhaps ?

Jef