[Kde-kiosk] Additional KConfigBackend's

Caleb Tennis kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:50:17 -0500

Greetings,

For one of our internal projects I've been using a custom written
configuration class that keeps config values stored in a SQL database.  We
have 10 "kiosks" and they need to maintain some kind of common configuration
settings between them, so this was the most straightforward way of doing it.
I also use KSimpleConfig for some local values that are stored at the kiosk
level.

I was thinking about perhaps extending the KConfigBackEnd to add a
KConfigSQLBackEnd to allow the use of a database for config file storing.
I'm fairly certain this would be quite desirable by many people, but the
actual desired implementation may vary between users.  So, I thought I would
attempt to generate some feedback before wading too deeply.

Currently the configuration databases has column names corresponding to config
keys and the rows are indexed numerically.  Thus, when kiosk #5 wants its
configuration, it simply requests the configuration setup with index #5.
This system doesn't allow for groups, like KConfig has, however.

My inital thought would be to add the group to the column name a well, perhaps
like this:

group:key1, group:key2, group:key3, group2:key1, group2:key2...

If only one configuration is desired then just one row will exist in the
database; multiple configurations just expand to multiple rows.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on this?  Obviously there will need
to be much more consideration, like for immutable objects, but this is just a
rough start.

Caleb

--
Caleb Tennis