[Kde-kiosk] More questions KDE 3.1

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:46:39 +0100

On Thursday 06 February 2003 00:55, Miguel Angel Alvarez wrote:
> Right, thanks again, Waldo it worked perfectly. Now I have more questions
> (I hope my questions and your answers might be helpful for other users as
> the HOWTO I am writing is based on my experiences and problems trying to
> make a desktop easy to use for users and of course as safe as it could be
> for an administrator.
>
> 3) I suggested that maybe it would be possible to lock the desktop in a way
> that users could not change the order of icons, move them all over the
> desktop... Was it finally included as action/editable_desktop_icons=false?

Yes.

> 4) When I right click on an icon now appears two options I haven't seen in
> the previous releases (Karolina Lindqvist's Debian packages). The options
> are Move To and Copy To, how could I disable them?

These are courtesy of the kuick plugin that i part of the kdeaddons package.
You can disable that plugin by removing
$KDEDIR/share/services/kuick_plugin.desktop

> 5) Maybe I am wrong... what is really Konqsidebarng? I mean, when I open
> Konqueror by default a bar with several buttons like home, bookmarks,
> configure appears in the left side of the window. If it is konqsidebartng,
> it is action/konq_sidebartng=false that removes this bar, isn't it?.

No, you would have to remove $KDEDIR/share/services/konq_sidebartng.desktop

> If I
> am wrong and that is not konqsidebartng my question is, which file or KDE
> section should I protect to avoid users from putting more entries to that
> bar?

The sidebar stores its entries in $KDEHOME/share/apps/konqsidebartng/entries

You may be able to lock it down by locking down the resource:
[KDE Resource Restrictions][$i]
data_konqsidebartng=false

This will not (yet) be reflected in the UI.

> (I have never written a HOWTO, how would you like me to write it, any text
> format?)

Any text format will be fine.

bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com