[Kde-kiosk] floppy and cdrom access in kiosk mode

Russell Brown russell at dmz.lls.com
Thu Dec 4 14:02:46 CET 2003

Quoth Philip Schroth.....

>Now the only problem that I am not capable to do is to restrict the use of the
>cd-rom an floppy icon on the desktop..
>
>I like to restrict these items to certain groups..

FWIW the way I do this is to have the following in my overloaded system
kdesktoprc:

[Devices][$i]
enabled=true
exclude[$e]=$(/usr/local/bin/shortoutaccessandprintexcludedkdedevices)

The little utility /usr/local/bin/shortoutaccessandprintexcludedkdedevices
(not it's real name :-) is a small program that decides which devices
the user isn't allowed (from a database in my case) and outputs a line
of the form:

"kdedevice/hdd_mounted,kdedevice/hdd_unmounted,kdedevice/cdrom_unmounted,kdedevice/cdrom_mounted"

thus telling kdesktop to exclude the hdd and cdrom.

--
 Regards,
     Russell