[Kde-kiosk] Simple Lock down?

Arthur Rousseau arthur at radioretail.co.za
Tue Dec 2 10:47:48 CET 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 11:33, Angus Clarke wrote:
> Well guys, thanks for the advice,
>
> It sounds like I am thinking about this the wrong way. Perhaps you may
> comment on my goals:
>
> 1) To setup terminal window access to run a curses based application
> (Konsole will only need to run the app. and exit, - thanks for your
> concerns Bill, you are quite right)

Rather make a new link to the application, set a custom icon and stick it
somewhere on the Desktop. On the link's properties, go to the Execute tab,
select run in terminal. This works pretty well, the curses program runs in a
neat little window and the user cannot easily stop the program without KDE
automatically closing the window. This will go along to allow user to access
the program, but no a shell. Finally make the .desktop link immutable, to
stop users changing it to access something else.

> 2) To give users Internet Access / Email (Mozilla was suggested, simply
> because I use it all the time.)

Consider Konqueror and something like KMail, as the Kiosk framework is
supported, and it will probably support most funcitonality that you'd want.
If you decide not to go that route, be aware that Mozilla may allow the users
to do something that you dont want the to do.

> 3) Remove as much other functionality as possible.

There is tons of this stuff lying around, check out the Kiosk archive
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-kiosk

> I don't know how to remove all the applications from the Kpanel (and not
> allowing users to re-add applications), removing "right click
> functionality" from the desktop etc. etc.

This is documented and not to complex, and very, very handy. The readme and
archive are good places to start

Cheers,
Arthur