[Kde-kiosk] Session Type in KDM

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 14:57:38 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 01:22:55PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2003 13:12, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:01:03PM +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> > > is there any possibility to hide the "session type" (kde3, failsafe, ...)
> > > field in KDM?
> >
> > no. you could only trim the list down to one entry. i'm wondering
> > whether it would be reasonable to make the combo vanish automatically if
> > only one entry is present ...
>
> Auto-changing GUIs are frowned upon usability-wise.

yeah, that was my guts feeling, too.

> I think the distinction in this case would be a 'list that happens to
> be a single entry' and a 'list that was explicitly locked down'.

yeah, but even the default setup has at least three entries, so you must
have good reasons to have a one-entry list and in this case probably
don't want to show it at all - but then, maybe you want to keep it for
verbosity.

> In the latter case you can use the Kiosk/KConfig's immutable code to
> see if the entry list is immutable, in which case it's safe to hide
> it.

hmm, talking about kiosk/kconfig is a bit moot wrt. kdm, as it does
everything by hand.
adding an option as such is trivial, but i'm sorta concerned about
option bloat. nah, it wouldn't be the first almost-noop option ...

greetings