[Kde-kiosk] Session Type in KDM

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 14:22:55 CEST 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 13:12, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:01:03PM +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> > is there any possibility to hide the "session type" (kde3, failsafe, ...)
> > field in KDM?
>
> no. you could only trim the list down to one entry. i'm wondering
> whether it would be reasonable to make the combo vanish automatically if
> only one entry is present ...

Auto-changing GUIs are frowned upon usability-wise.

I think the distinction in this case would be a 'list that happens to be a
single entry' and a 'list that was explicitly locked down'. In the latter
case you can use the Kiosk/KConfig's immutable code to see if the entry list
is immutable, in which case it's safe to hide it.

(Yes, I am aware that "immutable" is a bit of a moot name for a process
running as root, but in this case it would clearly make sense to use it
nevertheless.)