[Kde-kiosk] desktop only

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Apr 18 16:07:06 CEST 2003

On Friday 18 of April 2003 14:46, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Lubos,
>
> okay, now it works a little bit better ;-)
>
> My .xession looks like:
>
> ===
> /usr/bin/kdeinit
> /usr/bin/kwin &
> /usr/bin/kdesktop --nofork
> /usr/bin/kdeinit_shutdown
> ===
>
> I get my desktop and I can launch programs from there. The problem is, that
> logging out seems only possible with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and then some
> programs seem to hang (e.g. kdeinit, cf. ps auxw).
>
> When I say logoff, I get a message box telling me that (sorry, have to
> translate from German) a "regular logoff is not possible" because the
> "session manager doesn't react". Any workaround for that?

 I don't know about any workaround, but you could try simply run the session
manager - it's ksmserver. I already described how to block starting kicker
etc. in the previous mail.
 In fact, thinking about it, you don't need to run kwin or kdesktop manually -
kwin will be started from ksmserver, and kdesktop will be started too if you
don't disable it in $KDEDIRS/share/autostart. So I think you could use normal
startkde script, and only disable things in $KDEDIRS/share/autostart that you
don't want, and possibly check the startkde script too (e.g. for the
splashscreen or starting kpersonalizer on the first start).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org