[Kde-kiosk] desktop only

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Apr 18 15:22:06 CEST 2003

On Friday 18 of April 2003 14:11, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Lubos,
>
> thanks for your fast reply! I tried it out.
>
> ksmserver brings up the panel, which I do not want, so I guess that's the
> wrong way for me, unless there's an option to hide/disable the panel.

 ksmserver also initiates launching all apps specified in
$KDEDIRS/share/autostart , so you'll have disable those files (either remove
the installed ones, or adding files containing

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true

 to $KDEHOME/share/autostart that will hide the global ones).

> kdesktop --nofork does not work. I immediately get kicked back to KDM then.
>
> My .xsession file looks as follows:
>
> ===
> /usr/bin/kdesktop --nofork
> ===

 You could try calling 'kdeinit' as the first KDE thing to start, and
'kdeinit_shutdown' at the end of .xsession.

> The .xsession-errors file has the following for me:
>
> ===
> received an error processing data from the DCOP server!
> *** kdesktop (1942) got signal 11
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> kded: cannot connect to X server :0
> DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1964' to 'kded'
> ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
> Xlib: No protocol specified

 But this shows that this is KDE-unrelated problem. The application is not
authorized to connect to X server. You have e.g. to use 'startx' or start the
session from KDM, you're probably starting X directly.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org